Wednesday, February 21, 2007

PEACE

Today it was nearly 50 degrees and sunny - an absolute gift - and "my mountain" called.



It's not really MY mountain, but it's a place I have been going for almost twenty years. The first time was on a hike with my church youth group back when I was in middle school, and before I became a heathen. I've been going back ever since, my favorite part of the park being this beautiful overlook.

This is my church. This is where I feel connected to the Earth and to "God." I close my eyes and feel the sun on my face. The breeze blows through my hair and rustles the leaves. The world is silent except for the wind and the calling birds. Today I heard my beloved mourning dove sing its first notes since September. An old friend, it warmed my heart.



When I am on my mountain, I could be anywhere in the world. Trees, rocks and sky. Time ceases to exist and trivial things no longer matter. On my mountain, I am content. I am whole.

2 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Your description of your 'church' gave me goosebumps. Excellent.....

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics!