Thursday, January 04, 2007

SEDONA: PART III

I'd made reservations at this tiny motel Debra recommended called the Lo Lo Mai Lodge. It was right in the center of Sedona and not crammed with tourists. I'd barely checked in and put my bags down when there was a knock at my door. It was Debra and she'd come to welcome me and take me on a little hike.

We drove out to the Airport Vortex - just about 1/4 mile from where I was staying. We climbed up to the top of this big boulder and sat, overlooking a canyon.

"This is going to be an opening meditation - a welcome of sorts," Debra explained. We did some breathing, and she said a sort of prayer. I remember that she addressed it to 'Mother/Father God.'

When she was done, she turned to me and said, "I know you may be skeptical about things. I just want to encourage you to open yourself up while you're here. The more open you allow yourself to be, the more the energy will flow through you and the better your experience will be. Okay?"

I agreed. She took me back to my hotel so I could relax for the evening.

"You may find that you dream a lot tonight. Most people do when they're here," said Debra. We planned to meet for a hike at 7 AM the next morning at the coffee shop across the street.

That evening after unpacking, I took a drive around to check things out and also to find a place to eat. I came across a tiny Thai restaurant and went in. Not one to typically dine alone (for dinner anyway), I found I was a little self-conscious. I remembered what Debra said about being 'open' and allowed myself to relax and enjoy the meal.

Afterwards, I stopped at a mini-mart and picked up some Ben & Jerry's and then retired back to my hotel room. I slept well - she was right about the dreams - and woke up around 5 AM. I'd forgotten about the time difference between AZ and NJ so it actually felt a lot later than that.

I set out around 6:45 to meet Debra for the hike.

No comments: