Wednesday, September 01, 2010

SPEEDWORK AND MELONS AND SCHOOL, OH MY!

Year #12 of teaching started off with... well, not really a bang - more of a whimper. A running-induced whimper, that is.

I rolled out of bed at 6:00 am and I wasn't feeling top-notch. I had that low grade fever vibe all day yesterday and it continued throughout the night with wacky dreams and night sweats. But I got up and headed down to the local high school track for some speedwork, hoping I could knock whatever it was out of my system.

My training plan called for 2x400s; 1x800 & 2x400s. The first two 400s went well, but after the 800, I felt like quitting. Then I reminded myself that it's okay to push yourself out of the comfort zone - especially during speedwork. If you don't make yourself go faster, you'll never become a faster runner. So I pushed.

And I finished! And I felt incredible for the rest of the day. Lesson learned.

Since it was a teachers-only day, I basically sat in orientation meetings from 9:00-1:00. It was nice seeing everyone again. I think it's the first year that I have 0% anxiety about starting off. I have to say, mid-30's really rock! I am the most comfortable I have ever been in my skin and it's just a really great, balanced feeling.

Did some errands with the Huz after school (he was off from work for a doctor's appointment) and then made a kickass dinner involving these amazing creations. Oh Morningstar Farms, I don't wanna know what's in them, just promise you'll keep coming up with new and delicious products for me.

Afterwards, I cut up a canary melon that I'd bought at a roadside farm stand this weekend. The dude at the stand described it as a cross between honeydew and cantaloupe.



Oh. My. God. Absolutely the sweetest and most amazing melon I have ever tasted. If you happen to see one of these, BUY IT! Wait until it turns an almost golden brown on the outside and then it's ready.

Alright, that's all I got. Kids tomorrow. Bring 'em on!

No comments: