Tuesday, May 19, 2009

EASY DOES IT

Last night I watched one of my all-time favorite movies, A League of Their Own, and absolutely loved it. I know all the lines and just wait for the scenes that choke me up. What a fantastic cast and script! I love that there are a handful of movies that I can call upon to "take me away" - if only for two hours.

I've grown rather comfortable with our evening routine of cooking dinner, doing dishes and then crashing on the couch with The Huz, our laptops and the television. After so many years of not being able to relax, not knowing how to handle free time without an overwhelming sense of guilt creeping in, it's a giant relief to be able to just BE.

I no longer feel that nagging emptiness in my soul. While I still have a touch of wanderlust, I no longer feel like there is some undiscovered destiny for me elsewhere on the planet. I am somehow satiated and it feels good.

I wonder if that's what marriage does? Or being in your thirties? Or both?

2008 was a crazy year: A sabbatical from my job; a month in India; a wedding. At the beginning of 2009, I made a deal with myself to let it be an easier year. So far, it's been nice to be content.

No comments: