Thursday, July 17, 2008

CHECKING IN

So I'm officially unemployed now until September. My sabbatical job came to an end last Friday and now I can take a little breather before returning to teaching in the fall. It was a very good experience for me. I met some wonderful people and had some great adventures along the way. But most importantly, I learned what it is I need in my life - the kind of work I want to do and the kind of people I want to spend my days with. So I'm very much looking forward to returning "home."

In other news, I think I might bail out of the Marine Corps Marathon. Since my return from India in February, I have been steadily building my running back up. I don't think I've run less than four days a week in the past 5 months. I started my official marathon training on June 23 and quite frankly, I am already mentally burned out. And the mental burnout has also lead me to start feeling physically burnt as well. And I ask myself, "Can I really do fifteen more weeks of this? Do I really wanna start my job again and have to be thinking of the next 18-mile run I have to do?" Not so much.

So I've decided to take a week off from running. Fortunately, HE and I are leaving tomorrow for Sedona, AZ (HIS first trip!!) so I think it will be a good time for a break. Perhaps the healing energy of Sedona will also help me straighten out my head and find what's truly in my heart. I just kinda feel like I'm running for the wrong reasons lately and that's no good.

1 comment:

L*I*S*A said...

I completely agree...gotta run for the right reasons. I think the break will give you some clarity and focus.